A physically active Canadian population
To conduct research that will help design urban and rural environments that equitably increase physical activity for the entire population
Full-time Postdoctoral Fellowship starting September 1, 2019 (or as soon as a qualified applicant is selected) in the School of Human Kinetics and Recreation at Memorial University of Newfoundland. The position is a one year appointment, renewable for an additional year based on satisfactory performance.
The successful candidate will work under the supervision of Dr. Daniel Fuller, Canada Research Chair in Population Physical Activity. The postdoctoral fellow will work on projects related to Dr. Fuller’s research program including:
- Analysis of accelerometer and GPS data
- Machine learning methods for accelerometer and GPS data
- Wearable devices and physical activity measurement
Postdoctoral fellows with new projects related to the general research areas above are strongly encouraged to apply.
Primary Responsibilities: The Postdoctoral Fellow is expected to be involved in, or responsible for, the following:
- Conducting novel independent research
- Presentation of research results in the form of publications in peer reviewed journals and and conference presentations
- Assisting their faculty supervisor in guiding graduate students’ research
- Collaborate with team members to initiate new projects
Qualifications and experience:
- A Ph.D. in Public Health, Human Kinetics, Geography, Computer Science, or related field
- A strong research record
- Work independently
- Strong interpersonal skills, excellent writing, and good oral communication skills
- Data analysis experience
- Accelerometer data
- GPS data
- Machine learning
- Programming experience:
- R, SQL, and Python are assets
How to apply: The deadline for applications in June 1, 2018. Interested applicants should send a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references in PDF format to Dr. Daniel Fuller (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Job Specifications: The data scientist will provide support for Dr. Daniel Fuller, Canada Research Chair in Population Physical Activity’s, research program. Dr. Fuller’s research program includes studies in the following areas:
- Algorithm development for physical activity data using cell phones and smart watches
- Analysis of Global Positioning System (GPS) data
- Application of machine learning models to physical activity and GPS data
- R package development
Job Title: Data Scientist
Nature of Work:
- Organizing and cleaning physical activity and GPS
- Develop and application of machine learning models
- R package development
Illustrative Examples of Work: The candidate will be expected to apply machine learning methods to predict physical activity and develop metrics for analyzing GPS data. The data scientist will also be required to assist with device management and organization in the lab.
Requirements of Work: The ideal candidate will have significant experience with R and R package development. Experience with Python is an asset. The candidate will be required to have experience in the application of machine learning methods and working with physical activity and GPS data. The ideal candidate will have strong written communication and organizational skills. The candidate should be conducting or have completed a Masters of Science degree.
How to apply: Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter, and examples of work (Github or Bitbucket account) to Dr. Daniel Fuller (email@example.com).
The highest returns can be reaped by imagination in combination with a logical and critical mind, a spice of ingenuity coupled with an eye for the simple and humdrum, and a width of vision in the pursuit of facts that is allied with an attention to detail that is almost nauseating.
Sir Austin Bradford Hill
School of Human Kinetics and Recreation
Physical Education Building
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John’s, NL